Monday, May 08, 2006

Wesser, NC

May 5, 2006
Mile 134

This is my second visit to the Nanatahala Outdoor Center (NOC) in Wesser, and I am glad it is under better circumstances. During my 2004 section hike, I holed up here after blowing out my left knee. Now, thirty pounds lighter and properly equipped and braced, my knees are a hundred percent. I'll need them for the climb tomorrow.

A few folks I've gotten to know have dropped out since Dick's Creek. HaHaFun (I think), Dave (no trail name), and a pair whose name escapes my mind at the moment. Sometimes it's tricky to say who's dropped out and who hasn't. Some folks take weeks of zero days to heal knees, blisters, fevers. Some people never leave. I've heard of more than one through hiker that settled down in some trail town. Luckily I have life and love off the AT.

Before I began this hike, I resolved to write only interesting, witty things in my trail blog. I'm not sure this is possible. While many fascinating things occur to me while climbing mountains, I am far too busy fighting for breath to write them down. By the time I come to rest, I've forgotten them.

Or perhaps they were never that clever- they just seemed very clever to someone who is using most of his blood oxygen walking. So please do not be disappointed if there are fewer intelligent things in the record. In the meantime, I promise to make freezing rain, bad food, and endless climbing as amusing as possible.

And it is amusing to complain, because this is one of the most beautiful experiences of my entire life. I always thought Heaven would be a bit like this.

No comments: