Friday, May 19, 2006

Standing Bear Farm

Standing Bear Farm hiker hostel
Mile 237.5

Pulled my first twenty mile day from Peck's Corner to Davenport Shelter yesterday. My boots are morbid and yearn for their journey into a peaceful afterlife - as soon as I reach the outfitters at Hot Springs, 32 miles up the trail. Just thirty more miles, boots, then a choir of pristine socks will carry you to the halls of your fathers.

Standing Bear is no resort, but it's cheap and charming in a sort of hippie-commune way. The store operates on the honor system, and is stocked with soda and pizza. I wish I pulled more cash out of the ATM at the NOC, because that was the last time I saw a cash machine. If I had a few more tenners I'd buy four of those damn pizzas.

But what's this? Curtis can drive me to an ATM so I can give him more money? Pizza sickness awaits.

No comments: