Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Fontana Village

May 9, 2006
Mile 161

Taking a near-zero day tomorrow, spending the night tonight at the very nice Village Inn at Fontana Village. Thru-hikers get a swank 2 bed room for 35 bucks. Stretch and I are sharing a room, and enjoying the wifi internet, cable, heated pool and other amenities. As much as I like the NOC, this place takes the cake as a place to spend a zero day before the Smokies.

Tomorrow night I am spending at the Fontana shelter, then I am going into the Smokies with about eight days of food. More rain forecast for this week, but that's alright. I had a hiking epiphany day before yesterday, and I am ready for anything.

Looking forward to doing touristy things around the dam tomorrow. It's pretty amazing how a four-hundred and eighty foot pile of concrete can be so interesting.

1 comment:

Mobutu said...

You and "Stretch"? It's like you're the President hiking with the Washington Press Corps. Where's Turd Blossom?

Wait, don't answer that.