Monday, April 03, 2006

A Modest Experiment


For legal reasons, I've decided to reveal a modest experiment being run by some of my "friends", so I am not indefinitely detained by the not-at-all merciless iron fist of the GWOT. It's painfully post-modern, so it will tickle some of my friends while irritating others. I'm just enough of a self-hating liberal that I can find this concept amusing, though I still avoid seminars like "Washing the Laundry: Examining Subtexts in Early 20th Century Feminism".

The idea was that these "friends" would read my real trail journal (this one), then post another journal, ostensibly by me, on a myspace site. A sort of metajournal, roughly corresponding to my real adventures but deviating in some very particular and unforgettable ways. We went over a couple of these but frankly I don't remember the whole exchange.

Examples:

Real Journal Entry: Beautiful Sunrise on Roan Mountain
Metajournal Entry: Rain Death and Fire on the Cities of the Infidel

Real Journal Entry: Girlfriend visiting tomorrow!
Metajournal Entry: Forced Sodomy and Canoists: A Guide

Real Journal Entry: First Bear Sighting
Metajournal Entry: Herr Goebbels is my Spirit Shaman

So, if "I" take "credit" for anything "terrible" that "happens" on my through-hike myspace journal, it's probably just my drunk friends trying to get me sent to Gitmo. It's good to have friends.

1 comment:

Yurubutu Gralb said...

ever this materialize?