Saturday, April 29, 2006

Backwards Walking

Mile 67: Dick's Creek Gap to Neel's Gap


I started the Appalachian Trail with my wonderful girlfriend this past week, walking backwards into Georgia from the GA/NC border. As previously mentioned, I am skipping the Springer-Neel's section, as I had hiked it in 2003.

With the exception of a few days, we had wonderful weather. The interesting part was watching the terrain get milder and milder the further into Georgia we went. By the end of the hike we could see well into the Piedmont.

Tray Mountain was fantastic, and Blue Mountain Shelter (although cold, as everyone mentions) had a fantastic view.

We met a stray dog at Deep Gap shelter. It followed us out in the morning for about a mile, then tore off after something in the woods. We heard barking, then growling, then yipping. The stray tore back to the shelter. Apparently it met a critter that didn't feel like playing. It's no mystery how this pup got lost. We hope Bubba from Tampa or another northbounder got him to Hiawassee.

Monica picks her way over some rocks.







I'm sort of wet in this picture.

Tomorrow Monica drops me off at Dick's Creek Gap to continue north. I return to walking. Tomorrow will be very hard.

No comments: