Saturday, June 09, 2007

The Underrated Edward James Olmos

As many know, I do not own a television. I do, however, make exceptions when it comes to uncommon art. The combination of a New Yorker review (notoriously snooty regarding science fiction), and the recommendations of a friend historically loathe to sci-fi ("This Battlestar Galactica . . um . . it's rather good . . ") convinced me to view a DVD that perchance landed on my doorstep, that contained the re-imagined miniseries of Battlestar Galactica.

I agree, it is rather good. In fact, it might be some of the best television ever made. Commander Adama, played by Olmos, might be one of the most well-acted science fiction character actors to ever be portrayed. So little facial movement, and so much said, with just a twitch, or a shake of those acne-scarred jowels. So much so, I can say that when I grow up, I hope I grow up to be Edward James Olmos' Commander Adama.*

*This is a move up, because when I was 11 I was hoping I would grow up to be Commander Spock. Fate is cruel.

No comments: